Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Real Estate Contracts: Read before you sign!

By Joel Persinger (Your Real Estate Dude)

It has long been my policy to carefully explain real estate paperwork before asking my clients to sign. You might be as amazed as I usually am to find out that most of my clients have never had anyone take the time to explain contracts to them prior to their experience with me. Even more surprising is the fact that most folks I run into are accustomed to signing real estate related paperwork without ever bothering to read it.

Given the fact that most of my clients have never suffered financially as a result of signing without first reading what they sign, it would appear that a great percentage of the time such trusting behavior does not leave any lasting negative effect. But does the appearance of a low percentage of problems brought about as a result of signing without reading make the policy a good one? I suppose the same question could be asked about the policy of young ladies walking out to their cars alone in dark parking lots late at night. I am sure that most of the time the young ladies make it to their cars just fine. But, most people would agree that making a habit of walking into dark parking lots alone is foolish in the extreme.

I try to stay away from absolutes when giving advice. However, in this case an absolute is warranted. It is always a good idea to read and clearly understand any paperwork before you sign it. The general appearance that things seem to work out for most people regardless of whether they read first does not change the fact that just like young ladies in dark parking lots not everyone escapes unharmed.

I am aware of one case in which a real estate loan “professional” left a wake of destruction involving several families who simply trusted that he was looking out for their best interest and signed whatever he put in front of them without question. Some time later, when the consequences of the deals the lender had struck came to light, each of these families were stunned that the loan broker would put them in such precarious financial positions. Each declared they had no idea what kind of loans they were signing up for.

As a new real estate agent in early 1990, I was present at “training” appointments with sellers during which their agents simply flipped through the paperwork while saying, “Initial here, sign here, initial here, sign there, etc, etc.” The agents never bothered to explain the details and the sellers never asked. It surprised me then and the fact that it is apparently still a regular occurrence with some agents surprises me now. I should probably mention that I was also privy to the “explosions” that occurred when those sellers finally realized what they had signed. In these and countless other examples, it was the clients who were hurt most when things went bad.

I know that we live in a world in which all of us would like to have less responsibility and have reason to point our fingers at the other guy when things go wrong. In the examples I have given we might be justified in doing so to some degree. After all, the other guys in these examples were not as upfront and forthright as they should have been. Just the same, this does not absolve us of our responsibility.


When we sign things we make agreements or promises and you and I will likely be held to those promises even if we claim not to have fully understood them at the time. “I didn’t know” or “He hoodwinked me” are weak defenses at best. My hope is that having read this article, you will be better prepared and more willing to safeguard yourself from such an eventuality by following this age old and simple advice; before you sign it, read and clearly understand it.

No comments: