Monday, June 23, 2008

Is the market picking up?

By Joel Persinger
YourRealEstateDude.com

It seems that the burning question on everyone’s lips this past week has been, “Is the market picking up?” I don’t know if you have been asking that question, but it certainly has been asked of me at least once per day for the last week or so. As a consequence, I started asking other people and here is what I heard.

An agent I spoke to who works at another office told me that he was thrilled that his clients had the opportunity to buy homes at lower prices. But, he was finding that the prices were being “bid up” because every property that his clients expressed an interest in had received multiple offers. Consequently, by the time the properties sold, the discount was gone.

Even non-agents reported similar opinions regarding the current market’s trend. When I stopped by the office and spoke to our Transaction Coordinator, she seemed genuinely excited to report that things were picking up and the number of escrows being closed seemed to be increasing. One fellow at church began telling me that his offers on short sales were not moving foreword as rapidly as he would have liked. So, he and his wife began looking at bank owned properties only to find that a bidding war was underway at any they seemed to find interesting.

Obviously, my poll was not conducted in any scientific way and certainly the sample of people polled was tiny by any measure. Just the same, I found it fascinating that everyone I asked expressed an optimism regarding the real estate market that I have not heard for quite some time. Buyers seemed to feel that the time to buy had arrived and agents expressed a guarded optimism associated with the fact that they actually had clients to work with and properties for their buyers to buy.

All that having been said, available statistics do not appear to agree with the optimism expressed by my sampling. I wouldn’t let that dampen the prospects though. The available statistics are forever and always several months old. Therefore, what is really happening in the marketplace happens before anyone can conclusively prove that it is actually happening. That’s why we have talking heads on the news and guys like me who write columns like this one.

The bottom line is this. No one knows definitively if the market is picking up. But, it sure seems like it and we can all hope that what appears to be happening really is.

No comments: